Joe Naquin teaches piano lessons in Euless, TX. He is a member of the Music Teachers National Association and Mid-Cities Music Teachers Association. He began taking lessons in junior high and saw it through to receive a bachelor’s degree in music performance from Northwestern University. It was at Northwestern University that he discovered the satisfaction and pride of teaching people to play the piano.
Since May of 2008, Joe has been teaching students of all ages and ability levels, including those who struggle with learning disorders and physical disabilities. Joe believes that musical expression can be a beautiful and creative outlet for anyone and everyone who is willing to learn and do the work.
Types of Lessons
30 min/1 hour
5 and up
The goal of Joe’s Piano Lessons is to give students the ability to express themselves musically while developing love and lifelong appreciation for music.
All lessons are taught in my home where I keep two dogs and one cat. Special arrangements may need to be made if the student has allergies.
Lessons run year round. There are no lessons during Music Teachers National Association State and National Conferences as I will be attending them. There are no lessons on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New years weeks. I will notify you of any special event dates as they are made available to me.
Please note: If you have a Monday lesson, there are several holidays throughout the year that you may wish to cancel lessons for. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make up these lessons.
Required and Special Events
Recitals are a fun and exciting way to show off your hard work and hear other students play. They are a requirement for all students (adults and 1st year students are exempt but required to attend if they do not play).
Other events may require additional fees; you will be notified in advance of the fee deadline. Other events are greatly encouraged; they let the student see a bigger world of piano outside the private studio. These special events allow the students to set goals and accomplish them.
Tardiness and Absences
Please be on time and pick up on time. If you know you are going to be late to your lesson please call and I will wait for you, but you will only get the remainder of your reserved lesson time. If I do not hear from you and you are more than 10 minutes late I will mark the lesson as an absence and may lock up the studio.
Your lesson time is reserved for you. Tuition will not be reduced for missed lessons. Your instructor will be there and expects you to be there also. If you have to miss a lesson, please notify me ahead of time. If an instructor has to miss a lesson for a family emergency, you will be notified as soon as possible. Sporting, social events, and doctor appointments are not acceptable excuses for missed lessons. Family emergencies (i.e. death in the family, hospital stays) are acceptable excuses for missed lessons. Excused lessons may be made up if a suitable makeup slot is found, but I will assume lessons have been forfeited unless otherwise notified.
If you need to take extended absences but wish to keep your time slot, you may do so by informing me of your plans and paying half price for the months missed. Failure to pay will result in dismissal and your time slot will be given to the next person on the waiting list. If you decide to return after not paying for your absence you will be treated as a new student and placed at the end of the waiting list.
If you are more than 10 minutes late picking up your child, you will be charged a $5.00 fee. It is very hard to watch your child while trying to teach another student.
Withdrawal and Dismissal
If a student wishes to withdraw, please give a 30-day notice.
If a student is dismissed it will be for one of the following reasons:
1. Three consecutive unexcused absences.
2. Consistently coming to lessons unprepared.
3. Three weeks of non-payment (of tuition or other expenses).
4. Disrespect to the teacher or the equipment.
Tuition and Registration/Recital Fee
Payment for the month is due on your lesson time the first week of the month. If tuition is not paid by the 2nd week’s lesson there will be a $5.00 late charge. This charge is increased by $5.00 each additional week that fees are not paid. After three weeks of non-payment the student may be dismissed.
Student’s books must still be purchased in addition to monthly fees.
For families with multiple siblings the tuition rates are as follows:
First two students full price
Three or more students: $10.00 discount for all students
All fees are non-refundable.
Music can be purchased through me or bought from websites or local music stores.
If music is loaned to a student it is to be returned. If it has been mistreated you will be responsible for replacing the music.
Piano Time At Home
- To play at home as instructed in lessons. This is to be noted in the student’s assignment book.
- To play at home the amount of time requested by the teacher.
- To make notes if there are questions so that we can address at the next lesson.
- Have fun!
Parents and Adult Student Requirements:
- To set a specific quiet time each day for practice time.
- To provide a quiet environment for concentration for playing at home by leaving the cell phone, TV, and video games off; or keeping other siblings out of the room until the student is done with practice time.
- To check the student’s assignment book for specific goals for that week. Please do not sign the assignment book if your child did not practice that day.
- To provide adequate equipment for the student to be able to play on.
- To keep the instrument tuned – no less than once a year.
- Keyboards are allowed only for the first year – full size touch sensitive keyboard is required (88 keys).
- My door is always open for parents and they are encouraged to sit in on any lesson that they choose. If you have any questions call, write me a note, or ask me at the next lesson.